The E-flite® Apprentice® STS 1.5m is based on one of the best platforms ever designed for learning to fly radio-controlled (RC) airplanes—the legendary Apprentice S 15e. That model's large size made it an ideal choice for better visibility and the ability to handle more wind while learning to fly at an RC club flying field, and its inherently stable design plus exclusive SAFE® (Sensor Assisted Flight Envelope) technology make it easy to fly successfully—especially with the help of an instructor. The Apprentice STS (Smart Trainer with SAFE) 1.5m is a modern-day evolution of the world's favorite club trainer that includes all the same great features while adding Smart technology compatibility along with the option to add SAFE Plus® GPS-enabled technology and the Landing Assist Sensor (LAS), to make learning to fly easier—and more fun—than ever before!
- Based on one of the best platforms ever designed for learning to fly radio-controlled (RC) airplanes—the Apprentice S 15e
- Perfect for first-time pilots, experienced pilots that teach others to fly, and club training programs
- Official Trainer of the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) and many clubs worldwide
- The ideal choice for new pilots when learning to fly with an instructor at an RC flying field
- Equipped with exclusive SAFE® technology that helps prevent crashes and makes it easy to learn how to fly
- Beginner, Intermediate, and Experienced flight modes you can easily change between at the flip of a switch
- Panic Recovery mode at the push of a button to prevent loss of control and crashes
- Easily upgrade to SAFE Plus GPS-enabled technology to add AutoLand, Virtual Fence, and Holding Pattern features
- Optional and easy to install Landing Assist Sensor (LAS) available for smoother landings
- Includes almost everything needed to fly except for a compatible LiPo battery and charger
- Spektrum™ DXS controller/transmitter with industry-leading DSMX® 2.4GHz technology for reliable control without interference
- Use a 3S 3200mAh battery for outstanding performance overall, or a 3S 4000mAh battery for longer flight times up to 20–30+ minutes
- Powerful and efficient brushless power system including a 30A telemetry-capable ESC
- Factory-installed servos, Spektrum flight controller, and serial receiver
- 4-channel control with four servos for training to full aerobatic capability
- Capable of aerobatic maneuvers including loops, rolls, and upside down (inverted) flight
- Wide-stance tricycle landing gear with steerable nose wheel
- Quick and easy assembly—no glue or special tools required
- Durable EPO construction that's tough yet lightweight
- Full line of replacement/spare parts available
- Optional floats available for flying from water (sold separately)
- Practice flying this aircraft in the RealFlight® RC flight simulator (sold separately)
The Smartest And Best Club Trainer – Ever!
E-flite® took the world's favorite club trainer and made it SMARTER with the Apprentice® STS (Smart Trainer with SAFE) 1.5m. Based on one of the best platforms ever designed for learning to fly radio-controlled (RC) airplanes, its large size and 1.5 meter (59.0 inch) wingspan offer better visibility and the ability to handle more wind while learning to fly at an RC club flying field. Its inherently stable design plus SAFE® (Sensor Assisted Flight Envelope) technology featuring Beginner, Intermediate, and Experienced flight modes make it easy to fly successfully, especially with the help of an instructor. Best of all, it has the option to upgrade to SAFE Plus GPS-enabled technology offering features such as AutoLand and Virtual Fence, plus the option to install the Landing Assist Sensor (LAS) that automatically "flares" for smoother landings to make learning to fly—and to land safely—easier than ever! The tricycle landing gear makes it possible to take off from and land on a variety of surfaces, including grass, dirt, paved runway, and other suitable surfaces, or you can install the optional floats to fly from water. Plus, it's equipped with a 30-amp telemetry-capable ESC that provides a variety of real-time power system related telemetry data, including motor RPM, current, battery voltage, and more to compatible Spektrum™ AirWare™ equipped transmitters, and even approximate flight battery power remaining via multiple LEDs on the DXS transmitter included with the RTF Basic version. The Apprentice STS 1.5m is the smartest and best club trainer ever, and that makes it perfect for first-time pilots, experienced pilots that teach others to fly, and club training programs alike. It's also the best choice for new pilots seeking a larger trainer that makes it easier to progress into more advanced RC airplanes!
The Ready-To-Fly (RTF) Basic version includes everything needed to fly in one box except for a battery and charger. This allows you to choose a convenient and money-saving Spektrum™ Powerstage bundle or the separate battery and charger you prefer. Plus, the included Spektrum DXS 2.4GHz transmitter can be used with other Bind-N-Fly® (BNF) and BNF Basic aircraft after you learn to fly successfully! A BNF Basic version is also available for experienced pilots who want to use their favorite Spektrum transmitter along with batteries and chargers they may already own. For both versions, the powerful and efficient brushless power system, including a telemetry-capable ESC, flight controller, receiver, and servos, is factory-installed in the durable EPO airframe that assembles quickly and easily without the need for glue or special tools.
And the fun doesn't stop after you learn how to fly! In the Experienced Mode, the Apprentice STS can perform aerobatic maneuvers including loops, rolls, inverted (upside down) flight, and more. You can even use the same DXS transmitter that's included with the RTF Basic version, along with the same battery and charger you use for the Apprentice, to fly a variety of BNF Basic version "Next Step" aircraft including the E-flite® T-28 Trojan 1.2m, the Turbo Timber Evolution 1.5m and others!
You can also purchase the RealFlight Trainer Edition RC Flight Simulator and a Spektrum WS2000 Wireless Simulator Dongle (sold separately) to fly this and other models using the transmitter included with the RTF Basic version. The simulator features many of the most popular Horizon Hobby trainer aircraft and built-in Virtual Flight Instructor lessons. This helps new pilots learn to fly successfully by practicing on a PC at home or on a laptop just about anywhere else!
Learn to Fly Successfully with SAFE® Technology
If this is your first RC airplane, Horizon Hobby-exclusive SAFE (Sensor Assisted Flight Envelope) technology prevents over-control and crashing while also offering multiple flight modes to deliver more control and capabilities as your skills progress:
Pitch and bank angle limits prevent over-control that can result in a loss of orientation and crashes. When the control sticks are released the airplane returns to level flight on its own. Best of all takeoffs are as simple as giving full throttle and letting the airplane fly off the ground or by giving it a quick hand launch.
More freedom in pitch and bank, but still prevents over-control and does not return to level flight on its own. This mode allows you to make tighter turns and to climb and descend faster as your skills advance. Beginner mode automatically activates and returns the airplane to level flight when the airplane descends below approximately 30 feet above ground level and the sticks are released.
No pitch or bank angle limits so you have complete control! You can even fly inverted (upside down) and perform aerobatic maneuvers including loops, rolls, stall turns and more. Panic Recovery Mode can be activated by switching to Beginner Mode and releasing the sticks.
If you ever lose control of the airplane in the more advanced control modes simply switch to Beginner Mode and release the control sticks. SAFE® technology will automatically return the airplane to level flight.